This week we have had family staying over, so we have been on journeys, travelled to destinations and had a few adventures along the way too (grin!). So I created this page to remember their visit and capture our time together; the background depicts the ripples of the water at high tide on our walks, the car reminds me of our outing to a local car show, the natural colours and pretty flower serves as a reminder of all the nature we saw on our walks as we walked their dog three times a day, and then the maps, clocks, compass and postage stamps to remember our days out and adventures exploring new places.
I started by applying Pébéo white gesso with a brayer and then I added dots of black DecoArt acrylic paint and also Bright Aqua Green Heavy Body Liquitex paint over the top and used the brayer to create the wonderful texture. When the paint was dry, I stencilled a large clock on the right-hand side of the page using black Archival Ink and a blending tool. I stamped some Vintage Circles from Woodware Craft Collection using black Archival Ink and then I applied Rusty Hinge and Ground Espresso Distress Ink through a stencil by Andy Skinner using a blending tool. The white circles are stamped using a cardboard tube and white DecoArt acrylic paint, I used the Andy Skinner stencil and Distress Inks again to pattern the inside of the circles and defined the edges more using a white Uniball gel pen and a black Uni Pin marker. Next I added three pieces of washi tape horizontally across the page and then stamped lots of different images using black Archival Ink onto some paper from American Crafts. The stamped images included: some postage stamps, lace and a clock from Kaisercraft; a car stamp from Tim Holtz which I cut up to produce the car, bingo sheet, map and ruler; a patterned circle from Kaisercraft; a compass by Graphic 45 from Hampton Art; a hand pointing the way from a Steampunk stamp set from Docrafts; and some numbers from a Collage Number stamp from Gummpanian Stamps. I fussy cut all the stamped pieces out, edged them with Rusty Hinge and Ground Espresso Distress Ink and then a black Faber-Castell Big Brush marker. They are stuck to the page using a glue stick and Liquitex matte gel medium. Once the glue was dry, I edged them with a black Uni Pin marker and added white detail to both the images and stamping in the background using a Uniball gel pen. Next I cut a wildflower out of white cardstock using a die cut by Tim Holtz from Sizzix and my big shot machine, stuck it in place and outlined it using a black Uni Pin marker. I added two Small Talk stickers from Tim Holtz idea-ology collection which read “the journey is the destination” and also “and so the adventure begins”, again they are outlined using a black Uni Pin marker. To finish, I added some Pébéo white gesso using a palette knife through a Vintage Diamond stencil from Creative Expressions.
Last Sunday we went to a Vintage Car Show with our visitors. It is a local show and was held on the green by the beach just round the corner from our house. We saw some beautiful cars including this one which is an Austin and looks a bit like the one on my page (grin!).
There were so many different cars there and we liked this one which was originally from Canada.
Or maybe this is more to your liking, it’s a Wolseley and I’m not sure my hubby would fit in it (grin!).
Some cars are Vintage now, even though I remember them whilst growing up … does that mean I’m getting old (double grin!). VW Beetles for example and we often see this gold one driving around town and look at the kettle and mugs, just right for T Stands for Tuesday!
It turned into quite the adventure as we also saw the high tide which we don’t see that often and some kitesurfers right next to the beach.
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Pébéo White Gesso
- DecoArt Crafter’s Acrylic (Black, White)
- Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylic (Bright Aqua Green)
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Rusty Hinge, Ground Espresso)
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pen (Black 199)
- Derwent Graphik Line Marker (Black 0.1mm, 0.8mm)
- Uniball Signo gel pen (White)
- DecoArt Andy Skinner Mixed Media Stencils (Shedded ANDY08)
- Woodware Craft Collection Clear Magic Singles (Vintage Circles FRS665)
- Cardboard tube – stamp
- Kaisercraft clear stamp (Magnolia Grove CS822, Provincial CS243)
- Tim Holtz Components Collection (COM013CAR)
- Hampton Art Graphic 45 cling mounted rubber stamps (Tropical Travelogue ICO135)
- Docrafts Creativity Essentials A5 Clear Stamp Set (Steampunk DCE907125)
- Gummpanian Stamp (Collage Numbers 14030103)
- Sizzix Thinlets by Tim Holtz (Wildflowers 661190)
- Creative Expressions Mini Stencil (Vintage Diamond CEMSDIAM)
- American Crafts Papers (DIY Store 366665)
- White Cardstock
- Poundland (Washi Tapes 156456-GE16)
- The Works (3 Washi Tapes)
- Tim Holtz idea-ology Stickers (Small Talk #TH93193)
- Liquitex Matte Gel Medium
- Pritt Stick