It’s time for a new challenge over at Try it On Tuesday and our theme for the next two weeks is Vintage.
Thanks to those of you who joined us for the Love is in the Air challenge and I hope you will be inspired by our Vintage challenge too, it would be great to see you there!
For my art journal page, I started by covering the page in pieces of napkin using Liquitex matte gel medium and then applying Pébéo white gesso using a palette knife. Once dry, I aged the page to tie into the Vintage theme by using Dark Sepia, Sanguine and Cold Grey Faber-Castell Big Brush marker. I did this by applying the markers directly to the edges of the page and smudging them with my finger and I also scribbling the marker onto an acrylic block and dragging the block over the surface of the page so it highlighted the gesso texture and creases of napkin. Next I used a cutting die and my Big Shot to create tile shapes, which are stuck to the page using Liquitex matte gel medium and when they were all in place I covered them all with a layer of matte gel medium too. I coloured the edges of the tiles using Willow and Ink Black Derwent Inktense pencils and highlighted some of the gaps between the tiles using a white Derwent Inktense pencil. Then I covered some of the tiles with white gesso and a Dark Sepia Faber-Castell Big Brush marker to give them more of an aged look. The pretty purple violet flowers are rub-on transfers by Royal & Langnickel which I layered over the top of one another to build up the design and intensity of colour. I added the butterfly 3D sticker and then splattered black DecoArt acrylic paint over the whole page using a paintbrush. The ivy is die cut using Sizzix Thinlets by Tim Holtz and coloured using Leaf Green, Moss and Sepia Spectrum Aqua markers and a black Derwent Graphik fine line marker. They are stuck to the page using a Zig Memory System glue pen. I added the letter button stickers and applied white gesso and then matte gel medium over their edges so they looked more in keeping with the Vintage style. I also used the Willow and Ink Black Derwent Inktense pencils around them giving a worn look. For the doily, I coloured the edges using Tea Dye Distress Ink and a blending tool, and also the Dark Sepia Big Brush marker. I tied a bow in the middle of a piece of purple satin ribbon and then threaded each end of the ribbon around the central circle of a doily and stuck the doily in place using double-sided foam tape. I cut some thick purple paper using a Spellbinders die and stuck a butterfly image on top, which I had edged with the Tea Dye ink and Dark Sepia marker, using double-sided tape. To finish, I added one of the violet flowers, from the rub-on transfer set, to a vintage metal embellishment and stuck it in place using Ranger Glossy Accents.
I hope you will join in the fun over at Try it on Tuesday where you will find fabulous Vintage creations from the Design Team too!
Another rainy day meant another lovely walk around Lytham Hall with our friends. This time I had a piece of lemon and poppy cake with my pot of green tea and I was amazed how the vintage china and pretty purple flowers on my cake matched my Vintage page – Happy Serendipity (grin!). As I’m sharing my drink I’m saying a big hello and welcome to the T Gang over at T Stands for Tuesday and wishing you all a very Happy T Day!
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Dunelm Napkin (Grace 30220549)
- Pébéo White Gesso
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pen (Dark Sepia 175, Sanguine 188, Cold Grey IV 233)
- Derwent Inktense Pencils (Willow 1900, Ink Black 2200, Antique White 2300)
- DecoArt Crafter’s Acrylic (Black)
- Spectrum Aqua Artist Marker (Leaf Green, Moss, Sepia)
- Derwent Graphik Line Marker (Black 0.05mm)
- Pentel Hybrid Gel Grip Pen (White)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Tea Dye)
- Spellbinders Nestabilities Card Creator Die Cut Systems (Pearl Effects S5-194, Unknown)
- Sizzix Thinlets by Tim Holtz (garden Greens 661206)
- The Works M&C Boutique (Design Block)
- American Crafts Papers (DIY Shop 366665)
- Poundland Design Pad (Purple Paradise CRO701/PL3)
- Docrafts Papermania 8×8” Labels (Botanicals PMA157234)
- Dovecraft Premium Paper Doilies (Painted Blooms DCDLS010)
- Royal & Langnickel Rub-on Transfers (KPE1229G)
- Home Bargains (Love Letters 22738, Beautiful Butterflies 22742)
- Recycled Satin Ribbon (Purple)
- Poundworld (Vintage Stickers)
- Ranger Glossy Accents
- Liquitex Matte Gel Medium
- Docrafts Stick It! double-sided tape
- The Range double-sided foam tape