We’ve been having some beautiful sunny days here of late and mild temperatures too, which have reminded me of summertime, I have even sseen my first butterfly on the drive in our front garden. So to celebrate I created this sunshiny yellow page with a butterfly – I hope you like it!
I started by using some stamped white paper which was leftover from other projects. It was stamped using black Archival Ink and the stamps included: a Music Sheet and a Vintage Circles stamp set from Woodware Craft Collection; a Cherish, a Script and also a Doily stamp set from Kaisercraft. The white paper also had some stencilling on it as I had used it to mop up some leftover Black Soot Distress Ink when I was cleaning a stencil using a baby wipe. I ripped the paper into pieces and stuck them onto the page using Liquitex matte gel medium along with three yellow paper flowers. Between the gaps of the papers and flowers I painted a base colour of Lemon Yellow Kuretake watercolour paint and then I dripped water onto the painted areas and added Black watercolour paint to create a marbling effect, highlighting areas with Yellow Ochre and more of the Lemon Yellow paint.
Once dry, I outlined the yellow flowers using a black Uni Pin marker and stuck some black seed beads into the centre of the flowers using Ranger Glossy Accents. The yellow border strips and wording are from Kaisercraft Sticker Sets and are outlined with a black Uni Pin marker. To finish, I added a black and white 3D butterfly sticker.
This page reminds me of the beautiful rudbeckia …
… that were flowering in our newly planted flower bed at the end of summer last year (grin!).
I added the 3D butterfly to my page as I was so surprised to find a Red Admiral butterfly sitting on our front drive last week, I know we have been having warmer temperatures but it is still February, isn’t it (double grin!).
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Kuretake Gansai Tambi Japanese Watercolour Paint set (Lemon Yellow, Black, Yellow Ochre)
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Black Soot)
- Uni Pin Fine Line marker (Black 0.5mm)
- Woodware Craft Collection Clear Magic Singles (Music Sheet JGS111, Vintage Circles FRS665)
- Kaisercraft clear stamp (Vintage – Cherish CS831, Script CS752, Doily CS297)
- Viva Décor Universal Stencil (Past Times 900270300)
- White paper
- Craft Sensations (Paper Flowers CRO344/R)
- Kaisercraft Sticker Sheet (Say Aloha SS281, Fiesta! SS284)
- Seed Beads (Black)
- Home Bargains Self-Adhesive Stickers (Beautiful Butterflies 22742)
- Liquitex Matte Gel Medium
- Ranger Glossy Accents