Our new challenge over at A Vintage Journey is Window On Your World, which is being hosted by Deb. Here’s what it is all about:
“This month we would like to see some kind of window or tunnelled element in your creations. Think hollowed out books, multiple layers with openings to see what has gone before, hidden flaps or windows that when opened reveal a secret element. Just remember to create in one of our preferred styles of vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journaling, industrial, timeworn or steampunk.”
I couldn’t resist art journaling for Deb’s fabulous Window On Your World challenge. Taking the challenge literally, I was inspired by the actual autumnal window display in my house incorporating maple leaves, pumpkins and sunflowers for my autumnal window scene.
I started by stencilling the brickwork using a mixture of Spiced Marmalade, Tea Dye and Rusty Hinge Distress Ink. Then I created the grass by stamping a grass stamp with Cottage Ivy Memento Ink onto some green paper and cutting it out; it’s stuck in place using a UHU Stic which I used for most of the paper elements. Next I coloured some watercolour paper using Brushed Corduroy, Vintage Photo and Ground Espresso Distress Ink and used a branch Thinlet from the Funky Floral set by Tim Holtz to create the tree. I also stamped a wood grain stamp from BoBunny using Rich Cocoa Memento Ink along the trunk.
I used a Vintage window die set cutting it out several times from white cardstock and one from some Tim Holtz wood design paper using my Big Shot machine; they are layered together to form the window frame and window box. To create the interior view through the window, I layered the window frame onto a piece of lace and then some pumpkin coloured patterned paper. The flowers for the window box, little butterflies, pumpkin and “Autumn” sign are all fussy cut from Autumn Collective paper by Graphic 45 and are edged using Spiced Marmalade and Ground Espresso Distress Ink and a Dark Sepia Faber-Castell Big Brush marker.
I also created a “be thankful” sign to tie into the season too, using Clipping Stickers from Tim Holtz; both signs are backed with some Tim Holtz paper.
Lots of small maple leaves finished the page; they were die cut using a Fall Foliage Thinlets set from Tim Holtz from the same Graphic 45 paper, coloured along the edges using Spiced Marmalade and Ground Espresso Distress Ink, edged with a Dark Sepia Faber-Castell marker and stuck in place using double-sided foam tape.
If you enjoy art journaling like me and want to add a window to your page or interpret the theme by creating some openings or hidden flap-windows on your page then why not join us this month (grin!). Alternatively for lots more inspiration and ideas, please pop over to see the amazing creations from my fellow Creative Guides over at A Vintage Journey; it would be lovely to see you there!
I love the seasons and always decorate my dining room window to celebrate each season.
With the challenge being Window On Your World, I was inspired to use some of the elements, namely the maple leaves, pumpkins and sunflowers, that are contained within my own window display as part of my art journal page design; it was such a fun page to create (grin!).
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Craft Sensations (Deco Stencil Set 154892)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Spiced Marmalade, Tea Dye, Rusty Hinge, Brushed Corduroy, Vintage Photo, Ground Espresso)
- Crafter’s Companion Luxury Designer Paper Pad (Angelica & Adam Collection A&A-PAP6-M)
- Dovecraft Clear Stamp (DCR588)
- Tsukineko Memento Ink (Cottage Ivy, Rich Cocoa)
- Watercolour Paper
- Tim Holtz Sizzix Thinlets (Funky Floral Large 664158)
- BoBunny Stamp (Rough It Up Item#12105155)
- White Cardstock
- Hobbybase Prestige Craft Dies (Vintage HBV004)
- Tim Holtz idea-ology Paper Stash (Halloween #TH93712)
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pen (Cold Grey IV 233, Dark Sepia 175 B)
- The Range (Crafting Lace)
- Pion Design The Witching Hour Paper (October Garden 6×6” PD8104)
- Graphic 45 Seasons Collection 12×12” Paper (Autumn Collective #4501622)
- Tim Holtz idea-ology (Clipping Stickers #TH93583)
- Tim Holtz Sizzix Thinlets (Fall Foilage 660955)
- Ranger Glossy Accents
- UHU Stic
- X-Press It double-sided tape and double-sided foam tape