Tidings of Comfort and Joy!
I hope you’re having a wonderful Christmastime and wishing you all a very Happy New Year!
Today’s page is inspired by Christmastime and all things vintage! I started by covering the page with a music sheet from a book of Christmas carols that I picked up in a charity shop (thrift store); you may know the carol and I liked that the title referenced both Christmas and the New Year. I ripped the page into three pieces and stuck them down along with some gold, gold star and gold holly tissue papers using a UHU Stic. When the glue had dried I added Toffee Crunch and Rich Cocoa Memento Inks to the edge of the page and papers using a blending tool. Next I stamped a snowflake design from the Woodware Craft Collection using Emboss ink, then I covered it with white Stampendous embossing powder and shook off the excess powder onto a piece of scrap paper. I also tapped the page to make sure any stray powder was removed and then I used a heat gun to melt the embossing powder. I swept the gun over the stamped images, taking care not to direct the heat in one area for too long until the embossing powder changed to a glossy finish becoming smooth and dimensional. The gold trees are relief stickers by Crelando and the vintage images are cut using serrated scissors from an old magazine and a 12×12” paper sheet of Tags from the Glistening Season collection from Pion Designs; they are edged with the Toffee Crunch ink and arranged on the page using double-sided tape and some fabric washi tape. The “December 25” sign is a Victorian Christmas 3D sticker from Docrafts Papermania which I stuck down with a glass candy cane decoration. The candy cane is from an incomplete set of wine charms purchased at a charity shop; wine charms are small ornaments that you attach to a wine glass at a party so you know which glass is yours. I also tied some white paper twine to a round wooden tree tag and added it to the page. The white ribbon is recycled from a Christmas cracker and I tied it into a bow. To finish, I added lots of glittery gold snowflakes which are stickers.
I’d also like to thank the Allsorts Challenge Blog for my early Christmas present of the Pion Design paper and the Toffee Crunch Memento Ink that I used to create this page. I won them over at their challenge from Swedish House Crafts, along with some other goodies too (grin!).
I love Christmas music and play it at every opportunity this time of year (grin!), so I was really pleased to find a book of carols in my local charity shop. The carol I used for my page is “God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen”, if you are interested:
- This carol is also known as “Tidings of Comfort and Joy”.
- It is a traditional English Christmas carol which is thought to date back to the 16th Century. It was first published by William Sandys in 1833.
- This carol is referred to in A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, 1843: “… at the first sound of ‘God bless you, merry gentlemen! May nothing you dismay!’, Scrooge seized the ruler with such energy of action that the singer fled in terror, leaving the keyhole to the fog and even more congenial frost.”
- There have been many covers of this carol including Bing Crosby in 1947, Nat King Cole in 1960, Nancy Sinatra in 1991, Mariah Carey in 1994, Glee in 2010 and many more. Each of the names is a link to their version of the carol – now I’m wondering which one you would choose to listen too?
I received a lovely surprise from my hubby, look what was waiting for me at elevenses with my cup of green tea – a yummy gingerbread Christmas Tree (grin!). As T Stands for Tuesday, I’m saying a big hello to the T Gang and wishing you all a very Christmassy T Day!
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Tsukeniko Memento Ink (Toffee Crunch, Rich Cocoa)
- Emboss Embossing Ink Pad (Clear)
- Stampendous Embossing Powder (Detail White Opaque)
- Woodware Craft Collection Clear Magic Singles (Snowflakes FRS027)
- Tissue Paper (Gold, Gold Star, Gold Holly)
- The Oxford Book of Carols
- Pion Design Glistening Season 12×12” sheet (Tags – PD6612)
- Old Magazine
- Poundland (Fabric Tape 156456-GE16)
- The Works (Pack of 9 Wooden Tags)
- Docrafts Papermania Victorian Christmas (3D Christmas Stickers PMA805801)
- Wilko (Paper Twine)
- Re-cycled ribbon (White)
- Crelando Relief Stickers Christmas designs (12 Sheets IAN289011)
- The Pier (Wine Charms PLU2010838)
- Christmas-Craft (Glitter Embellishments Gold XCR0037)
- Fun Cut Scissors – serrated
- UHU Stic
- Docrafts Stick It! double-sided tape