I am so delighted to be hosting Art Journal Journey this month and the challenge that I have chosen is:
Now it’s March, spring is just around the corner so along with Susi, Bleubeard & Elizabeth, I would like you to join in and say Hello to Springtime. You could include flowers, blossoms, new foliage, birds, birdsong, butterflies or any other nature on your designs or perhaps capture the changes in the season with sunshine and blue skies or even new beginnings as spring is a time of change!
For my background to depict springtime sunshine and blue skies, I scribbled Yellow and Aquamarine Spectrum Aqua markers on a blending mat, spritzed with water and pressed the mat onto the page. Then I stencilled a trellis design from Creative Expressions using Tea Dye, Frayed Burlap and Black Soot Distress Ink with a blending tool. Next I stamped a Music Sheet stamp from Woodware Craft Collection, a Script stamp and a Vintage Circle stamp both from Kaisercraft using black Archival Ink and painted some Pébéo white gesso using my finger on parts of the page to add some contrast.
I then die cut the “Hello Springtime” wording from some Tim Holtz design paper which I stamped using a blossom spray stamp from Stampendous and the black Archival Ink; the letters are stuck in place using Liquitex matte gel medium and once dry edged with black Uni Pin marker. Then I created the different springtime scenes which included: a little bird sitting on a branch and some feathers from Kaisercraft Anthology Collection with a Tim Holtz Pocket Card featuring Nest & Eggs; a pretty butterfly tag to which I had tied a piece of white thread; a Tim Holtz Pocket Card featuring trellis-work and yellow flowers and a little butterfly sticker from Kaisercraft; four clocks cut from a Tim Holtz Pocket Card, a tag from Kaisercraft Anthology collection which I tied another piece of white thread to and the Eiffel Tower from a die cut set. They are all edged with a Dark Grey Faber-Castell Big Brush marker, stuck in place using double-sided tape or a glue stick and accented with some pretty pink, blue, yellow and white die cut blossoms that we see at springtime. To finish the page, I added all the springtime words which are created using Tim Holtz idea-ology Label Letter Stickers stuck to some strips of a neutral coloured design paper from American Crafts.
I hope that you are inspired by this month’s Hello Springtime theme too and are able to join in the fun. I am really looking forward to visiting you and seeing all your wonderful springtime creations!
It has felt like spring the last couple of weeks as the weather has been unusually mild. This has meant we have had spring flowers appearing in our garden, birds visiting our bird feeders, blue skies and lots of sunshine. I’m not sure that it will last but it definitely felt like springtime to me (grin!).
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Spectrum Aqua Artist Marker (Yellow, Aquamarine)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Tea Dye, Frayed Burlap, Black Soot)
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- Pébéo White Gesso
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pen (Cold Grey IV 233)
- Uni Pin Fine Line marker (Black 0.05mm)
- Creative Expressions That Special Touch of Mica Masks (Moroccan)
- Woodware Craft Collection Clear Magic Singles (Vintage Circles FRS665, Sheet Music JGS111)
- Kaisercraft Clear Stamp (Script CS752)
- Stampendous! (Cling Blossom Spray CRP136)
- Docrafts X Cut A5 Die Cut Set (Folk Alphabet XCU503286)
- Tim Holtz idea-ology Paper Stash (Halloween #TH93712)
- Tim Holtz idea-ology (Pocket Cards #TH93208)
- Kaisercraft Collectables (Anthology CT938)
- The Range (Craft Tags CRO740)
- Kaisercraft Sticker Sheet (Fly Free SS289)
- K & Company Susan Winget (Floral Die-Cut Cardstock)
- Tim Holtz idea-ology (Label Letters #TH93072)
- American Crafts Papers (DIY Shop 366665)
- Liquitex Matte Gel Medium
- Stix2 double-sided tape
- Pritt Stick