It’s a new month now, so we are launching our June challenge over at the Creative Artiste Challenge Blog, and as always the theme is Anything Mixed Media Goes.
I had fun playing around with mixed media to create this Ladybird (ladybug) art journal page. I hope you’ll join in the fun too; it would be lovely to see you there!
I started by applying Cracked Pistachio Distress Stain, like all the other elements, horizontally across the page and then I added some Raw Umber, Burnt Umber and Bright Aqua Green Liquitex acrylic paint. I applied this paint using the long edge of an old gift card in horizontal lines. Next I added torn strips of three different washi tapes which detailed a green striped, an aqua/purple flower and a tape measure design. Then I applied some more of the Liquitex paints and also some Pébéo white gesso using the gift card again. I stamped an alphabet stamp from Kaisercraft with black Archival Ink and then added more layers of washi tape, this time a hexagonal design and a black & white flower design. Then I repeated the layers of paints and gesso and stamped a grid design using a Sheena stamp and Vintage Photo Distress Archival Ink.
The tags were created using Tag Collection Framelits by Tim Holtz and were die cut from white card which I covered with some paper from a Vintage Romance design pad. I edged them with Ground Espresso Distress Ink using a blending tool and a Dark Sepia Faber-Castell Big Brush marker to create an old and worn look. I stamped some foliage onto some of the tags using a Carabelle Studio stamp and Cottage Ivy Memento Ink.
The ladybirds are rub-on transfers and the wordings are Small Talk stickers which read “lucky” and “make a wish” relating to the spiritual meaning of ladybirds. The tags are stuck to the page using double-sided tape or foam tape and also two different sizes of brown brads. To finish, I added the “ladybird” wording using Kaisercraft letter stickers and then I splattered the page with black and also white acrylic paint.
I hope that you are inspired to join our Anything Mixed Media Goes Challenge too! For more inspiration please check out the amazing creations from my fellow Design Team members over at Creative Artiste too.
I’ve noticed quite a few ladybirds this year in our garden; here are a couple sitting on some bark in one of our flower borders (grin!).
If you’re interested here are some fun facts about ladybirds:
- They are called “ladybirds” in Europe but are also known as “ladybugs” or “lady beetles”. Technically, they are actually beetles.
- A ladybird’s spots warn potential predators and the most common type of ladybird in the UK is red with black spots, but in fact there are 5000 different species of ladybirds in the world.
- One ladybird may consume 5000 aphids in its one-year lifespan – so they are very welcome in my garden (grin!).
- They are much loved and in many cultures are considered good luck.
I hope that you are all staying safe and well! x
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Tim Holtz Distress Stain (Cracked Pistachio)
- Liquitex Acrylic Basics (Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Bright Aqua Green)
- Docrafts Papermania Capsule Collection Patterned Craft Tape (Spots & Stripes Festive PMA462302)
- Crelando Decorative Tape (Aqua/purple Flower)
- Michael’s Washi Tape (Tape Measure, Black & White Flower)
- Pébéo White Gesso
- Kaisercraft Clear Stamps (Alphabet CS887)
- Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black)
- The Works Washi Tape (Enjoy the Ride)
- Sheena Create A Flower Unmounted Rubber Stamp (Funky Textures 2 SD-CAFS-FT2)
- Ranger Distress Archival Ink (Vintage Photo)
- Tim Holtz Sizzix Framelits (Tag Collection 658784)
- White Card Stock
- Craft Sensations Design Pad (Vintage Romance 154897)
- Pritt Stick
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Ground Espresso)
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Artist Pitt Pen (Dark Sepia 175 B)
- Carabelle Studio Art Stamp (Dans la nature, ill y a … SA60175)
- Tsukineko Memento Ink (Cottage Ivy)
- Royal & Langnickel Rub-on Transfers (Insect Collection #TIP1484)
- Tim Holtz idea-ology Stickers (Small Talk #TH93193)
- Stix2 double-sided tape
- X-Press It! double-sided foam tape
- Craft Sensations Brads (CRO550/A)
- Kaisercraft Sticker Sheet (Mix & Match – Alpha SS252)
- DecoArt Crafter’s Acrylic (Black)
- Art Discount Acrylic (White)