Today I have another page celebrating the flowers found in my garden. This time we have the Welsh poppy which are flowering so beautifully at the moment (grin!).
I started by stamping the poppy heads from a Tim Holtz Flower Garden stamp set using black Versafine Ink. Then I added some white gesso to the background using a palette knife, leaving the gesso thick in places; I left it to dry overnight. Next I painted Sap Green, Hooker’s Green and Burnt Sienna Kuretake watercolour paints over the background by applying water to the page first and then painting on the colours and letting them blend together. I added more detail to the background including: the numbers using a stencil from Craft Sensations and Black Soot Distress Ink; the text which was stamped using a Script stamp from Kaisercraft and the same Black Soot ink; and also a Solar & Lunar stamp from Finnabair using Cottage Ivy Memento Ink.
The poppy heads are coloured and shaded using Yellow and Gold Spectrum Aqua markers and also Canary, Honeycomb and Lime Green Winsor & Newton Promarkers. Then I stamped the stems and leaves using the same Flower Garden stamp set and black Archival Ink. They are shaded using Olive Green and Forest Green Winsor & Newton Promarkers.
I added some Mini Squares using a stencil from Creative Expressions and some Rusty Hinge Distress Ink. The “Welsh Poppy” wording was created using letter stickers from Kaisercraft and the huge bee was from a Field Notes Ephemera Pack by Tim Holtz which finished the page.
If you are interested you can see the other pages that were inspired by two of my spring flowering plants in my garden here:
Like my page there are two shades of Welsh poppies in our garden, here are the golden orange ones …
… and these are the yellow ones, aren’t they beautiful (grin!).
Hoping that you are staying safe and well! x
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Tim Holtz Collection Sampers Anonymous (Flower Garden CMS215)
- Pébéo White Gesso
- Zig Kuretake Gansai Tambi Japanese Watercolour Paint set (Sap Green No:53, Hokker’s Green No:52, Burnt Sienna No:46)
- Craft Sensations (Deco Stencil Art 154892)
- Kaisercraft Clear Stamps (Script CS752)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Black Soot, Rusty Hinge)
- Prima Marketing Finnabair Clear Stamp (Solar & Lunar 966997)
- Tsukineko Memento Ink (Cottage Ivy)
- Spectrum Aqua Artist Marker (Yellow, Gold)
- Winsor & Newton Promarker (Canary Y367, Honeycomb C547, Lime Green G178, Olive Green Y724, Forest Green G356)
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- Creative Expressions Mini Stencils (Mini Squares CEMSSQUARE)
- Kaisercraft Sticker Sheet (Mix & Match – Alpha SS252)
- Tim Holtz idea-ology Ephemera Pack (Field Notes #TH94051)
- Stix2 Glue Dots