I tried a new technique on my art journal page for the Something New challenge that I’m hosting this month over at Art Journal Journey.
The new technique was for the background and involved watercolour paints and sea salt crystals; I have to say it was a fun and easy technique to do (grin!).
I flooded the page with water and added Indigo, Ultramarine, Turquoise Blue, Cobalt Violet and White Kuretake watercolour paints, graduating the colours down the page to white at the bottom. Then while the paint was still wet I sprinkled coarse sea salt crystals over the top and left it to dry.
When dry I brushed the salt crystals off the page and a beautiful mottled effect was left where the crystals had reacted with the paint.
Next I fussy cut the owl sitting on a bench from an old Christmas card and arranged him onto the page so it looked like the bench was disappearing under a bank of snow. The snowflakes were die cut using my new Thinlet Set by Tim Holtz from white linen textured paper and some glittery blue/purple coloured papers. I added some wording from a sticker book by Tim Holtz which reads “a wondrous sight”, “the wintry landscape” and “covered with snow”. I die cut two labels from the blue/purple and also from white linen paper using a Tim Holtz tag die set. Then I cut the white paper label slightly smaller, stamped “warm winter wishes” using Ground Espresso Distress Archival Ink and an alphabet stamp set and layered the two labels together before sticking them in place, which finished the page.
Whilst on a winter walk around Glasson Dock we saw a strange shape in a tree and took some pictures, to our surprise when we looked through our camera lens there was this Little Owl sat there looking at us. My hubby took this picture before he flew away – isn’t he adorable (grin!).
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Kuretake Gansai Tambi Japanese Watercolour Paint set (Indigo No.67, Ultramarine No.64, Turquoise Blue No.62, Cobalt Violet No. 139, White No.10)
- Course Sea Salt Crystals
- Old Christmas Card
- Pritt Stick
- Sizzix Thinlets Tim Holtz (Paper Snowflakes, Mini 661599)
- Craft Sensations (Luxury Cardstock with Linen Texture – White CRO240/GE)
- The Works M&C Boutique (Paper Pad)
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pen (Cold Grey IV 233)
- Zig Memory System 2-way Glue (Dual Action Glue Pen)
- Sizzix Framelits Tim Holtz (Tag Collection 658784)
- Ranger Distress Archival Ink (Ground Espresso)
- Dovecraft Essentials Alphabet Stamp Set (WDN ALPHA STMP DCVW0050)
- X-Press double-sided tape