Today at A Vintage Journey is Tag Friday, which only takes place when there is a fifth Friday in the month; it’s all about creating something you love so there is no particular theme, it’s time to play, experiment and have fun – it would be great to see you there!
This Merry Moose is one of my favourite Thinlets from Tim Holtz so I couldn’t resist using it to create this double-sided Mixed Media tag showing the same scene in autumn and in winter.
To start, I used a large Poster Card by Tim Holtz to create the tag by cutting off two of the corners to make a tag shape and punching a hole using my Crop-A-Dile machine. I covered both sides of the tag with some white gesso as the card had blue flowers on one side and beige postcards on the other and I wanted to tone them down a little. I then used Scattered Straw Distress Ink to colour around the edges of the beige side which I chose for autumn and Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink on the blue side of the tag which seemed perfect for winter. I stamped some snowflakes using two blue Memento Inks onto the blue side of the tag and then the tree trunks on both sides of the tag using Toffee Crunch Memento Ink.
For the autumn scene: I coloured the stamped tree trunk using Dark Sepia and black Faber-Castell Big Brush marker and a black Uni Pin pen; stencilled the sun and coloured it using a Sun Yellow Inktense pencil; and coloured the foreground using Forest Moss Distress Ink and a Leaf Green Inktense pencil.
For the winter scene: I coloured the tree using a Cold Grey and black Faber-Castell marker and a black Uni Pin pen; used white gesso to colour the foreground and also to stencil the moon, once dry I added some texture to the moon using Platinum Planet Brilliance Ink, a Tim Holtz stamp with Black Soot Distress Ink, a white Faber-Castell marker and also a white Uni Posca paint pen. Then I used Inkylicious Fluffy Puffy Stuff and a heat gun to create the snow.
The Merry Moose, leaves, stars and wording are all Thinlets from Tim Holtz which I die cut from some linen textured paper coloured using Distress Inks: the moose was coloured using Brushed Corduroy, Vintage Photo and Ground Espresso ink; the antlers using Scattered Straw and Vintage Photo ink; the leaves using Scattered Straw and Rusty Hinge ink; the stars using Scattered Straw and Mustard Seed ink; and the wording using Scattered Straw, Rusty Hinge and Chipped Sapphire ink.
To make them stand out from the background more, the autumn die cuts are edged with a Dark Sepia Faber-Castell marker and …
… the winter ones with a Cold Grey Faber-Castell marker and they are all stuck into place using a Zig Memory glue pen.
To finish, I added an eyelet with my Crop-A-Dile machine which reinforced the hole as I’m using a book ring to secure all of my double-sided tags together when they are finished to create a Tag Journal.
For more Tag Friday inspiration, please pop over to A Vintage Journey where you’ll find some fabulous tags created by my fellow Creative Guides. I hope you are inspired to join us as I’m so looking forward to seeing your tag designs!
I have been lucky enough to see moose a number of times in the wild whilst holidaying in America, although I have never seen any in Maine. I’m told you are more likely to see them further North in the state and we did stop to look for them at this quiet spot to no avail, maybe next time (grin!).
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this double-sided tag:
- Tim Holtz idea-ology (Pocket Cards #TH93208)
- Pébéo White Gesso
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Scattered Straw, Chipped Sapphire, Forest Moss, Black Soot, Brushed Corduroy, Vintage Photo, Ground Espresso, Rusty Hinge, Mustard Seed)
- Stamp Set (Winter Wonderland – snowflakes, Winter Woodland – tree)
- Tsukineko Memento Ink (Bahama Blue, Danube Blue, Toffee Crunch)
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pen (Dark Sepia 175 B, Cold Grey IV 233, Black 199, White 101)
- Uni Pin Fine Line Marker (Black 0.3mm)
- Inkylicious Template and Stencil (Sun and Moons)
- Derwent Inktense Pencils (Sun Yellow 0200, Leaf Green 1600)
- Tsukineko Brilliance Ink (Platinum Planet)
- Tim Holtz Collection Stampers Anonymous (Urban Tapestry CMS061)
- Uni Posca Paint Pen (White)
- Inkylicious (Fluffy Puffy Stuff)
- Craft Sensations Luxury Cardstock Linen Texture (White)
- Sizzix Thinlets Tim Holtz (Merry Moose 663103, Garden Greens 661206, Snowy Stars 663117, Alphanumeric Label 664177)
- Scraps of metallic yellow Linen Texture Paper and blue Glitter paper
- Zig Memory System 2-Way Glue (Dual Action Glue Pen)
- American Crafts We r Memory Keepers (Crop-A-Dile and Standard Eyelets 41582-4)