It’s time for a new challenge over at Try it on Tuesday which is Witches/Wizards/Halloween.
If like me, you don’t really like the scary side to Halloween then you may like to create something fun like my Haunted House art journal page.
I started by covering the page in white gesso and then painting Light Red and Raw Sienna watercolour paints using a paintbrush to form streaks of colour across the page. I also streaked some Black Soot Distress Ink to add some contrast and depth, and then I stamped a homemade grid stamp using black Archival Ink and splattered the whole page using black acrylic paint. The haunted house, cat’s face and bats are all rub-on transfers and the portraits are fussy cut from a leaflet; I thought that they were a fun way to depict the inside of my haunted mansion. Next I stamped the “Happy Halloween” wording using a Papermania alphabet stamp set and black Archival Ink. I coloured the bottom of the wording with a Sanguine Faber-Castell Big Brush marker and then applied Ranger Glossy Accents over the top. I added some modelling paste through a Vintage Diamond stencil from Creative Expressions and when dry, I coloured the diamonds with Spiced Marmalade and Seedless Preserves Distress Ink and Sanguine and Black Faber-Castell Big Brush markers; they are also covered with Ranger Glossy Accents to give them a glossy finish. To mimic the wrought iron railing around the haunted house image, I added some decorative border tape around the edges of the page, distressing it so it looked worn and broken. To finish, I added lots of green gemstones and clear, orange and purple gel stickers for more Halloween sparkle.
You’ll find lots more inspiration from my Design Teamies over at Try it on Tuesday too, so please pop over and take a look.
The leaflet that I used for this page from Lytham Hall which also has spooky goings on in the vegetable garden.
Even the potting shed looks spooky with the faux cobwebs, pumpkin bunting and black cat – such fun (grin!).
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Pébéo White Gesso
- Winsor & Newton Cotman Water Colours (Light Red, Raw Sienna)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Black Soot, Spiced Marmalade, Seedless Preserves)
- Homemade Grid Stamp (Wooden block and Plasterboard/Drywall Tape)
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- DecoArt Crafter’s Acrylic (Black)
- Royal & Langnickel Rub-on Sentiments (Haunted House #ROY714N, Bats, Cats & Ghosts #EDW355)
- Leaflet – Lytham Hall
- Papermania Alphamania Clear Stamp Set (Leftovers Alphabet PMA9071102)
- Ranger Glossy Accents
- Pébéo Modeling Paste
- Creative Expressions Mini Stencils (Vintage Diamonds)
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pen (Sanguine 188 B, Black 199)
- Poundland (Decorative Border Tape 15118067)
- Hobbycraft (Green Rhinestone Stickers 5971381004)
- Habico Signature Collection Self-Adhesive Gemstones (Festive Assortment PP948)
- Home Bargains (Mini Gel Stickers 30287)