For the next two weeks, our new challenge at Try it on Tuesday is Colours of the Rainbow.
I had fun creating this colourful page as not only did I use a new set of acrylic paints, but the paint colours and stencils that I used were chosen by my hubby. As you can see he likes bold and bright contrasting colours and he chose birds, leaves, mosaic and brickwork stencils.
I started by adding the Cerulean Blue, Yellow Oxide, Primary Red and Light Green acrylic paints, that my hubby had chosen, using a dry brush technique where a clean dry brush is used to spread each of the colours; I did this so that the colours would not blend together as some of the colours chosen are on opposite sides of the colour wheel so if blended together they would produce a brown or grey so I didn’t want them to blend by adding water. Then I applied the same paints again using a sponge through the four stencils that my hubby had chosen: Cerulean Blue through a birds stencil; Yellow Oxide through a mosaic stencil; Primary Red through a brick stencil and finally Light Green through a leaf stencil. Next I stamped some postage marks from Prima Marketing and some numbers from Inkidinkado using black Archival Ink. To add some depth and contrast I applied some white acrylic paint to the page with my finger and when dry, I stamped more of the postage marks and numbers over the top. The flowers are stamped onto a dictionary page using some Hampton Art stamps sets and black Archival Ink, fussy cut and stuck in place using Liquitex matte gel medium. I added the stems to the flowers using a Hampton Art Border stamp set and the black Archival Ink again. The wording is from a Kaisercraft sticker sheet finishes the page and reads “Be the brightest colour in the box”; I thought it linked well to my new set of paints.
There are some amazing creations from my Design Teamies too, please pop over to Try it on Tuesday to check them out. We would love to see your rainbow colour creations of the next two weeks, it would be lovely to see you there!
Here’s my new paint set, there are 36 colours to use so I’m sure I’ll be using them again soon (grin!).
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Liquitex Basics Acrylic Colour (Cerulean Blue, Yellow Oxide, Primary Red, Light Green)
- Craft Sensations (Deco Stencil Set 154892)
- Tim Holtz Collection Stampers Anonymous Layering Stencil (Mosaic #THS084)
- Creative Expressions That Special Touch of Mica Masks (Take a leaf)
- Prima Marketing Clear Stamps (Rossi Belle #587499)
- Inkadinkado Cling Stamps (Typographic 65-32008)
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- Art Discount Acrylic (White)
- Hampton Art Bella Blvd cling mounted rubber stamps (Sand & Surf ICO226)
- Hampton Art Doodlebug Designs Inc. cling mounted rubber stamps (Thankful ICO162, Borders ICO160)
- Dictionary pages
- Kaisercraft Sticker Set (Fiesta! SS284)
- Uni Pin Fine Line marker (Black 0.8mm)
- Liquitex Matte Gel Medium