I was delighted to win the “Not a card” challenge over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge recently and I was even more delighted when the goodies that I bought with my prize voucher arrived. I couldn’t wait to use them all so I created this page to celebrate my new stash of 4 stamp sets, 2 single stamps and a book of label letters.
As part of my celebratory page, I also decided to incorporate the current Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge of “Star Light, Star Bright” and also their Wednesday Challenge “Anything Goes” showcasing Tim Holtz products, as well as their logo colours of gold, brown, turquoise and pink.
I started by creating a star template to use as a mask, having stuck the star mask onto the page I chose one of the texture stamps from BoBunny and also a sponge stamp from Finnabair, stamping them both using black Ranger Archival Ink. I then outlined each of the stars using the mask and a black Faber-Castell Big Brush marker. I removed the mask and applied some Pébéo white gesso over the page to vary the tone of the background in readiness for the next layer of stamps and colour. Using the same black Archival Ink, I stamped three postage marks from the Rossi Belle stamp set onto the page and I also stamped two car “Component” stamp images by Tim Holtz onto a piece of white paper. I added them to each side of the page using a UHU Stic and cut off any excess paper so they fit the page. Next I applied Cracked Pistachio, Picked Raspberry and Ground Espresso Tim Holtz Distress Inks to the page using a blending tool, and also by diluting the ink on an acrylic block and pressing the block onto the page.
In the main I avoided getting these colours on the stars, however I wasn’t too worried as I thought any splashes of colour added to the grungy look of my page. I then coloured the stars using Fossilised Amber Distress Ink using it like you would watercolour; I did this by applying the ink to an acrylic block and using a paintbrush, varying the tone as I painted. I stamped a leaf silhouette by Simon Says Stamp and a berry branch by Inkadinkado using the same black Archival Ink. The wording is created using Label Letters from the Tim Holtz idea-ology collection and they are covered with Ranger Glossy Accents to give them a shine as the page is star themed. To finish, I also added some shine around the edge of the star and to the leaf silhouette and berries on the branches using the Glossy Accents again.
I’m also joining in the fun over at Try it on Tuesday and their “Colourful” challenge with my bright starry page.
Here’s the goodies that I ordered from Simon Says Stamp, I’m so pleased with all the products and I’m sure that I will be using them often – thank you so much!
When I saw the “Star Light, Star Bright” challenge title it immediately reminded me of the nursery rhyme:
Star light, star bright,
First star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.
So I based the wording I used on my page around this rhyme. If you are interested here’s some facts about this nursery rhyme:
- The words allude to the superstition that you can wish upon a star.
- It is believed to be of late 19th century American origin and reached Great Britain by the early twentieth century and is now known worldwide.
- The rhyme is often read to children at bedtime.
- “Star Light, Star Bright” is also part of the lyrics of Madonna’s 1983 single Lucky Star.
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Cracked Pistachio, Picked Raspberry, Ground Espresso, Fossilised Amber)
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pen (Black 199)
- Pébéo White Gesso
- Homemade star mask
- BoBunny Stamps (Rough It Up #12105155)
- Prima Marketing Inc. Finnabair Clear Stamp (Sponge #961909)
- Prima Marketing Inc. Clear Stamps (Rossi Belle #587499)
- Tim Holtz Components Collections (COMO13CAR)
- Simon Says Stamp Clear Stamp Set (Leaves And Scribbles SSS101445)
- Inkadinkado Cling Stamps (Branches 65-32007)
- Tim Holtz idea-ology (Label Letters #TH93072)
- Ranger Glossy Accents