On a warm sunny day whilst walking alongside the Lancaster Canal, my hubby captured a fantastic photo of a swan looking very regal whilst showing off his plumage; this swan definitely wasn’t an ugly duckling in fact “You’re a very fine swan indeed!” as the well-known song says.
The background is Yellow, Aquamarine and Slate Spectrum Aqua markers which I scribbled onto an acrylic block, spritzed with water and pressed onto the page. Then I used the same technique to add some Cracked Pistachio Distress Ink over the top. Next I added a series of stamps using London Fog Memento Ink and a Hobbycraft silver pigment ink; these stamps included a Script stamp by Kaisercraft to represent the Ugly Duckling lyrics, a feather stamp by Craft Sensations to depict those beautiful feathers and two crown stamps as he looked very regal. Next I stamped the swan images by Urban Stamps using Rich Cocoa Memento Ink and added torn pieces of a blue-green paper from a design pad using a UHU Stic. The swan is a print of the actual photo my hubby took which has been edited to give a vintage monochrome look and stuck to the page using the UHU Stic. Once the glue had dried I outlined the image and the papers with a black Uni Pin Marker and silver metallic paint. I added silver border outline stickers to the blue paper, as well as the small silver cross-like stickers, white diamante-centred flowers, colourful flower shaped stickers and purple rhinestone flowers across the whole page. I added a feather that I picked up alongside the canal on the day of our walk which I’m pretty sure is from a swan, and also some decorative diamante chain to hold it down. To finish I used the same decorative chain under each of the swans that I had stamped.
Here’s the original photo my hubby took of the swan, isn’t he magnificent! I can just imagine him singing (grin!):
“Not a quack, not a quack, not a waddle or a quack
But a glide and a whistle and a snowy white back
And a head so noble and high
Say who’s an ugly duckling?
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Spectrum Aqua Artist Marker (Yellow, Aquamarine, Slate)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Cracked Pistachio)
- Memento Ink (London Fog, Rich Cocoa)
- Hobbycraft Pigment Ink (Silver)
- Uni Pin Fine Line marker (Black 0.1mm)
- Poundland Metallic Paint (Silver)
- Script Metallic Pen (Silver)
- Craft Sensations (Clear Stamps CRO274/16R1)
- Kaisercraft clear stamp (Script CS752)
- Docrafts Urban Stamps (12 Days of Christmas – Icons PMA907909)
- Hampton Art 7 Gypsies Cling Mounted Rubber Stamps (Birdsong ICO151)
- Poundland Design Pad (Vintage Chic Creations CRO701/PL4)
- Swan printed photo
- Docrafts Anita’s Outline Stickers (Timeless Borders ANT810117)
- Fancy Stickers (Flowers & Butterflies 28965)
- Home Bargains Special Occasion (Mini Decorative Stickers 22740, Decorative Diamante Chain 26254)
- The Works Stickers (Rhinestone Flowers)
- Ranger Glossy Accents
- UHU Stic