Spring is finally here and with the weather being so warm and sunny we ventured out for a walk in the local countryside. The new green leaves were sprouting on the trees, the beautiful spring blossoms were out and the birds were busy in the hedgerows, so I was inspired to create this page; I think I can finally say that “Spring is Sprung!”
I started by applying Liquitex green and yellow acrylic paints with a baby wipe as well as a blue green paint I had left over from another page; these colours represent the green foliage, blue skies and sunshine on our walk. Then I used a paint brush to apply very fine splatters of the paints across the page to give a mottled effect like you would find on birds eggs. Next I added some torn paper from a Design Pad and two washi tapes, one with a bird design and also a thin yellow one. I stamped a Script stamp by Kaisercraft onto pieces of an old sewing pattern using black Archival Ink and stuck them to the page using Liquitex Matte Gel Medium. I then stamped a leaf design on the bottom of the page using the same Archival Ink and added more yellow washi tape. I stamped the bird, which is by Hampton Art, onto the page and also onto a piece of green paper. Then I fussy cut the bird that I had stamped onto the green paper and stuck it over the stamped bird using double-sided foam tape to give a 3D effect. The feathers and the nest of eggs are rub-on transfers by Royal & Langnickel. The wording is fussy cut from an old magazine and I re-coloured them with a black Faber-Castell Big Brush marker and a green and yellow Spectrum Aqua Marker. I used matte gel medium to adhere them and left them to dry. Then I added fine detail to the dots and edges of the letters and words and the rub-on transfer images using a black Uni Pin marker. To add more texture I used plasterboard /drywall tape and a piece of green adhesive lace trim. The square of blue checked paper is from the same Design Pad which I decorated with the washi tapes, edged with a black Faber-Castell Big Brush marker and stuck to the page using double-sided foam tape. The bird house and spring blossom images are cut from a gardening booklet and remind me of the spring blossoms from our walk. I stuck them onto a piece of paper from a different Paper Pad using a UHU Stic and cut the paper out using serrated scissors and edged it with the same black Big Brush marker. To finish I added a couple of wooden white flowers that I thought looked like the blossoms using Ranger Glossy Accents to stick them down.
I pleased to be able to join the Try it on Tuesday theme of “Add a Quote” and as we are discovering the magic of spring, I am also joining Hazel who is hosting the “Magical Mystery Tour” challenge over at Art Journal Journey.
It certainly felt like spring with the sun shining and the birds singing as we saw this glorious view over the countryside.
It was a lovely day for a walk and we seemed to find wonders around every corner, like these lovely white blossoms.
These catkins and new sprouting leaves looked beautiful with the blue sky behind them. Wishing you a Happy Spring and a Happy Easter!
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Liquitex Artist Color Acrylic (Parchment, Cadmium Yellow Medium, Navy, Christmas Green)
- Spectrum Aqua Artist Marker (Moss, Yellow)
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pen (Black 199)
- Uni Pin Fine Line marker (Black 0.1mm)
- Kaisercraft clear stamp (Script CS752)
- Hampton Art 7 Gypsies cling mounted rubber stamps (Vintage Collection The Journey ICO151)
- Grafix Design Pad (Beach House CRO292/GE)
- Crafter’s Companion Luxury Designer Paper Pad (Angelica & Adam)
- Style sewing pattern tissue paper
- Old magazine and Garden Centre booklet
- The Works (Washi Tape Set)
- Hobbycraft Decorative Tape (Assorted Black & White 5971481007)
- Royal & Langnickel Rub-on Transfers (Bird’s Nest #ROY-563)
- The Works (Craft Flowers)
- Docrafts Papermania Botanicals (Adhesive Lace Trim PMA358334)
- Fun Cut scissors
- 151 Adhesives Plasterboard & Drywall Tape
- Ranger Glossy Accents
- Liquitex Matte Gel Medium
- UHU Stic
- X-Press It double-sided tape
- The Range double-sided foam tape