When I heard about Linda’s exciting new challenge of “50 Shades of Red” over at Art Journal Journey I knew exactly what the inspiration would be for my first submission – a little pottery sign I look at every morning that is hung on my dressing table mirror, it says “Be the reason someone SMILES today”.
I started by diluting Desert Spectrum Aqua marker ink and Love Letter Memento Ink onto an acrylic block with water and smooshing and painting it onto the page. To add more texture and layers I put Spectrum Aqua Marker ink onto a trellis stencil and used it to ‘stamp’ the design onto the page. I also stamped a diamond background using the same Aqua marker and a script stamp by Kaisercraft using the same Memento Ink. Then using the same trellis stencil I applied a thick layer of Fired Brick Distress Ink using a blending tool to different areas of the page. To use up the ink remaining on the blending tool I applied it using the trellis stencil over the pink/red areas of the smooshed Memento Ink background, I liked this effect as it gave a faint impression of the stencil whilst intensifying the background colour. Next I added pieces of paper from a vintage Design Pad using a UHU Stic and the rose and heart images which are stickers by Penny Black. I outlined all of them with a Spectrum Aqua marker and a black Uni Pin, this added shadows and made them stand out from the background more. To make the sign, I stamped the wording and the three red hearts using the Memento Ink and outlined them with a very fine Derwent marker, then added a diamond border using the diamond background stamp and Aqua marker. I then glued it to a piece of recycled red card using a UHU Stic and stuck it to the page using double-sided foam tape. To add some bling I edged the sign with red gemstones and added some single gemstones around the page along with some red hearts which I stamped using the Memento Ink, these finishing touches tie the design of my sentiment to the page.
This is the lovely red pottery sign that hangs in my bedroom, I choose this as a gift some years ago when I received a voucher for Christmas. It makes me happy when I see it and always inspires me by giving me a daily goal to make someone smile.
This is my hubby’s favourite photo of me; I’m always smiling and as Dolly Parton once said “If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours”. I recently read a poll on what makes us smile and it revealed that on average we smile thirteen times a day and laugh three times a day. It also said the top things that make us smile are seeing an old friend or hearing a song from the past, other favourites were getting into a tight pair of jeans, receiving a thank you from someone and jumping into a bed with freshly made sheets. So now I’d love to know – what makes you smile?
Thanks for joining me today! If you have any questions or comments, I would love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Spectrum Aqua Artist Marker (Desert)
- Memento Ink (Love Letter)
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Fired Brick)
- Derwent Graphik Line Marker (Black 0.05mm)
- Uni Pin Fine Line marker (Black 0.1mm)
- Art Impressions wood mounted rubber stamp (Diamond Background T-3335)
- Kaisercraft clear stamp (Script CS752)
- Hobbycraft clear stamp (Love Hearts 50402HC)
- Creative Expressions That Special Touch of Mica Masks (Moroccan)
- Docrafts A5 clear stamp set (Alpha Folk DCE907115)
- Hampton Art Mini Wood Peg Rubber Stamps (Alphabet Set #1037)
- Creative Expressions Design Pad (Vintage Romance CRO730/R)
- Red Card (recycled Christmas card)
- Penny Black 2006 Stickeroos (From the Heart #10-189)
- Oaktree UK Eleganza Craft Stickers (3mm 418 Gems Red No. 16)
- UHU Stic
- The Range double-sided foam tape