Recently we were cycling through a local park on our tandem and to my great surprise, in the pond was a glorious display of water lilies, their pink petals elegantly dancing over the water. This happy discovery made me smile and inspired this page.
I started by painting diluted blue, pink and green Memento Ink onto the page to create a water background that looks like pond reflections. I then covered the page with white gesso and when it was dry I added more detail by stamping flowers and dots using the same pink and a grey Memento Ink. The water lilies and associated wording are fussy cut from a wallpaper sample and are stuck to the page using Liquitex matte gel medium. I painted white gesso over the wording using my finger to blend them into the background and I used a Spectrum Aqua Marker to outline them and smudged this outline with a baby wipe. I shaded the water lily images with a black Uni Pin marker and a white Uniball gel pen to add more 3D dimension. Then I added pink and green border stickers separating them with a gold line, which along with the gold flowers and circles are outline stickers. To finish I used more gold stickers to add some words, which are associated with water lilies.
Having seen Patty’s wonderful post last month of water lilies and those magnificent Loti, I was very happy to discover these beautiful water lilies right on my doorstep in my local park!
I have been back a few times to admire them, they are so stunning! With this month’s theme being “Nature’s Wonders”, I’m pleased to be able to join Gill over at Art Journal Journey.
“The Lytham Shrimper” with his basket and net is made of bronze and can be found in the middle of the lily pond (you may also notice me and our tandem in the background). This sculpture celebrates Lytham’s history of shrimping, which along with fishing was the main economy for the area for many centuries until the Industrial Revolution and the advent of tourism. Today you can still purchase Lytham Shrimps and there is only one full-time shrimper remaining.
If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to ask, I love to hear from you.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Pébéo White Gesso
- Memento Dye Ink (Summer Blue, Angel Pink, Pistachio, London Fog)
- Spectrum Aqua Artist’s Markers (Charcoal, Slate)
- Uni Pin Fine Line Marker (Black 0.1mm)
- Uniball Signo gel pen (White)
- Kars clear stamps X-Mas Collection (Flower Fantasy Chr. 980003/0077)
- Woodware Francoise Collection stamp set (Flower Style Wood Set FRSWS003)
- Penny Black 2006 Stickeroos (Swirls #10-175)
- Docrafts Anita’s Outline Stickers (Simple Flowers Gold ANT8101102)
- Hobbycraft Ouline Stickers (Gold Scenes 5934211001)
- Dovecraft Peel-off Stickers (Alphas Caps Gold DCPO-05)
- Liquitex Matte Gel Medium
- Wallpaper sample