I wanted my finished page to link to this month’s maps theme over at Art Journal Journey so I decided to have fun and get my inspiration as I went along. I wanted to start off with some circles, so used maps and lovely turquoise paper which I think go nicely together.
I used various lids and tapes as templates to cut out the circles. When I laid them onto the page I loved the vibrancy of colours, and so created a complimentary green background using a blend of acrylic paints. I applied the paint with a baby wipe, which is a new technique for me, and one that I will be using again, as it was very easy to do and I love the results! I stamped a hessian (burlap) texture and some script over the page using Kaisercraft stamps and Memento inks, then I used a homemade stamp to add a mesh pattern effect with Archival ink. I enjoyed adding the black and white splatters with acrylic paint to finish the background.
I fixed the circles to the page using a glue stick and gel matte medium, and doodled on and around them to add some detail. I then added some lines adapted from a poem by Christopher Logue and finished the page with a wooden dove. I think it turned out wonderful!
I heard Mary Portas recite this poem recently and it really resonated with me, I just fell in love with it. Sometimes we all need to take a leap of faith in our lives and not be afraid to go after our dreams, and then you get to know what it feels like to fly! I hope you enjoy the poem as much as I do.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Liquitex Artist Colour Acrylic (Christmas Green, Swedish Blue, Ivory Black)
- Colvin & Co. acrylic paint (White Titanium)
- Memento Dye Inks (Rich Cocoa, Pistachio, London Fog, Bahama Blue)
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- Faber- Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pen (Black 199)
- Uni Pin Fine Line marker (Black 0.1mm & 0.5mm)
- Uniball Signo gel pen (White)
- Kaisercraft clear stamps (Script CS752 and Texture-Hessian CS153)
- Dovecraft upper and lower case Alphabet stamp set (WDN Alpha Stamp DCVW0030)
- Homemade wooden block stamp with Plasterboard/Drywall Tape
- The Works (Wooden Doves)
- Liquitex Matte Gel Medium
- The Range glue stick
- Ranger Glossy Accents
- Dorling Kindersley Illustrated Family Encyclopaedia