I created this page not long ago and was prompted to share it after a blog-friend (Trista Ree Creates) was asking how music impacts my daily life. I tend to listen to music all the time especially now summer is here and my taste is quite eclectic. You will often hear me humming or recalling a tune to coincide with what I’m doing. My hubby says, (in the nicest possible way), that I know a silly song for every occasion, and he’s probably right, as I find “Music Soothes My Soul”. Therefore, music (of all types) is the inspiration for this page.
I decided to experiment with the background and had heard of stamping using scrunched up tin (aluminium) foil, so I watered down Faber- Castell Big Brush and Spectrum Aqua marker pigments and started stamping. When I had built up the layers of colour I splattered on some black acrylic paint. I love the effect that resulted; it looks like stone or marble, just lovely and gives a very clean and crisp finish (I think the trick here is knowing when to stop!). To compliment the music theme I added three strips of washi tapes to the page. I bought a magazine called The Greatest Musicians from my local charity shop, it has some fantastic old photos of cities, documents and music sheets. So I tore some of the music sheet pages and stuck them using matte gel medium, next I stamped a set of ornate leaf outlines and then the sentiment using Versafine and Archival Ink. A spot of colour was needed and these beautiful little butterflies were just the thing, they were a bargain purchase from The Range (home store) and are actually 3D, so add another dimension. The final step was to add some sparkle with tiny bronze gemstones from Habico. I really like this page as it looks so elegant.
Here’s a close up of one of the butterflies, aren’t they just adorable.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Faber- Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pens (Sepia 175, Black 199)
- Spectrum Aqua Artist’s Markers (Tan, Slate)
- Liquitex Acrylic paint (Ivory Black)
- Tsukineko Versafine Ink (Onyx Black VF-82)
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- Uni Pin Fine Line marker (Black 0.1mm)
- Hobbycraft decorative tape (Assorted Black and White 5971481007)
- The Works (3 Washi Tapes)
- Crafters Companion Sara Davies photopolymer stamp set (Just for you – Butterfly Lullaby 5-BL-ST-JUS)
- Papermania A-Z clear stamps (Leftovers Alphabet PMA9071102)
- Docrafts A5 clear stamp set (Alphas Pack DCE907115)
- The Range craft stickers (PO/23049)
- Habico self-adhesive gem stones (Festive Assortment PP984)
- The Great Musicians Part 1
- Liquitex Matte Gel Medium
- Tin foil