I am so excited to be a part of the challenge-blog over at Art Journal Journey. This month’s theme is ‘Journeys’ and has inspired my page. It’s called “All Aboard” and reminds me of journeys past and present with the old Art Deco images and newer map pieces.
The background was created using Distress Inks and a stripe stencil, it took me quite some time to build up the lines as I was alternating the colours and my stencil is fairly small. Next I added the postmark decoupage paper and the compass. I extended the lines of the compass with a charcoal Spectrum Aqua marker, so that they fan out across the page to give a contrast to all the horizontal stencil lines. The Art Deco images are rub-on transfers and the tags were stamped using Versafine ink. The map pieces were taken from a book that I rescued from a local charity shop and I used an old magazine to source the letter and postage stamp. The “All Aboard” tag finishes the look – I created it using a stamp, coloured with Spectrum Aqua markers and Distress Inks.
We have traveled to two of the destinations on this page – Paris and America. Although America is much further away and France is on our doorstep, we have journeyed to America on many more occasions than France. We have visited 25 of the 50 States, in fact we were visiting our 25th State, Maine, to see the fall colours on our 25th Wedding Anniversary, a memory which I cherish.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Tim Holtz Distress Ink (Peacock Feathers, Crushed Pistachio, Salty Ocean, Black Soot, Tea Dye)
- Spectrum Aqua Artist’s Markers (Charcoal, Teal, Scarlet, Slate)
- Uni Pin Fine Line marker (Black 0.1mm)
- Sharpie Fine permanent maker (Black)
- Versafine Ink (Onyx Black VF-82)
- Ranger Claudine Hellmuth Studios 6x6inch stencil (Our Town HSC36920)
- Papermania Urban Stamps 4x4inch (All Aboard – Tags PMA907178)
- Royal & Langnickel Rub-on transfers (Travel Collage #ROY871 RUB-ON)
- First Edition Deco Maché decoupage pages (D/M Postage FEDEC060)
- Craft Sensations Design Pad 15x15cm (Beach House CR0292/GE)
- The Works tags (24 Assorted Craft Tags)
- Wilko 10metre paper twine
- Liquitex Matte Gel Medium
- The Range double-sided foam tape
- The Range glue stick
- Penguin Books Ltd 2007 – 2008 Pears Cyclopaedia
- Magazine images