I recently purchased the Colourcraft Brusho Crystals ink powders and was so excited to use them that they inspired my next page. They are small pots of highly pigmented coloured ink powder that give amazing effects when water is applied. Each pot seems to be a mix of different colours that make the finished ink come alive. I decided to experiment and have fun, so I choose two of the colours from the 12 in my pack (turquoise and leaf green) for my background to see where that led me and here’s my tropical island themed page – Under the Sea.
As you can see, the background is a burst of colour, although I started with turquoise and leaf green; it’s interesting to note that I didn’t add any yellow, the leaf green crystals produced the yellow aspect due to the mix of the coloured crystals in each product. I wasn’t expecting there to be so much yellow so this led me to add some emerald green Brusho powder to intensify the green element and mask the yellow a bit. Having tried different techniques I found that sprinkling the crystals onto a dry page and then lightly spritzing with water gave me the look I wanted. Once you have spritzed the powders, they almost explode with vibrancy in front of your eyes. With the background finished I started to look through my craft stash, to see what would complement the background and decided on my Tropical Travelogue stamps by Hampton Arts, which I stamped in 3 clusters onto the page using black Archival Ink. I applied exotic flowers, which are rub-on transfers and added self-adhesive gems to the centres. I hope you like the results as much as I do.
The sea and beach theme is very close to my heart as I live right near the beach with my hubby. It’s so lovely and I feel very blessed.
“If you are fortunate enough to live by the beach then you are fortunate enough…”
Every week we volunteer to help clean our local beach under a scheme called Love My Beach. It’s a great way to help the environment, care for sea life, meet people and give something back to our community. We always have so much fun too!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Colourcraft Brusho Crystal Colour (Turquoise, Leaf Green, Emerald Green)
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt artist pen (Black 199)
- Spectrum Aqua Artist’s Marker (Slate)
- Uni Pin Fine Line marker (Black 0.1mm and 0.5mm)
- Uniball Signo gel pen (White)
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- Hampton Art Graphic 45 cling mounted rubber stamps (Tropical Travelogue IC0134 and IC0135)
- Hampton Art 7 Gypsies cling mounted rubber stamps (Birdsong IC0151)
- The Works clear stamps (CR0274/TW3)
- Royal and Langnickel Rub-on (Fab Flowers #ROY1400)
- Docraft metallic waterfall stickers (Beach PO#9622)
- The Works stickers (Rhinestone Flowers)