With the Queen’s birthday celebrations well under way, my next journal page commemorates this and the celebratory Afternoon Cream Tea that we had to wish Her Majesty a very Happy 90th Birthday!I started to collage strips of decoupage paper and newspaper photo clippings of the Queen’s clothing and jewellery (that she wore on her birthday parade through Windsor). Derwent Inktense pencils added more colour to the background so it was a similar colour to the Queen’s coat. I stamped roses down the page using Spectrum Aqua markers, which give a lovely watercolour look. The flags were painstakingly cut out from newspaper photos taken on the streets of Windsor during the Birthday Parade, along with the photos which are framed with decorative tape. As you can see it seems the young Princess was partial to tea parties too. The crowns and the ninety were stamped using Archival Ink and I added more black elements with outline stickers. Further decorative elements brought the page together – fabric bunting and banner stickers, the teapot, cups and cake images, a happy birthday sentiment and finally green rhinestones.
This page took me a while to complete because of the detail and the many materials I used, as you can see from the list below. I also discovered that it’s better to apply gel medium to the page rather than the newspaper as it prevents the newspaper curling/creasing. It was so enjoyable to create! Happy Birthday Ma’am!
Apparently when you address the Queen I am told the correct method is to use ‘Your Majesty’ the first time and then Ma’am thereafter (pronounced Ma’am as in jam, not Ma’am as in farm).
To celebrate Her Majesty’s birthday we thought we should do something typically British. But we couldn’t agree on what to do. I wanted an afternoon cream tea and my hubby wanted a pint. So we compromised and had both! What a lovely day we had.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Here is a list of all the materials used to create this art journal page:
- Viva Gade decoupage paper (Skagen 25561)
- Derwent Inktense Pencils (Apple Green 1400, Field Green 1500)
- Spectrum Aqua Artist’s Markers (Moss, Crimson, Red Violet)
- Sharpie Fine Point permanent marker (Black)
- Faber-Castell Big Brush Pitt art pen (Black 199)
- Uni Pin Fine Line marker (Black 0.1mm)
- Ranger Archival Ink (Jet Black)
- Eco Green Crafts recycled rubber art stamps (Petal Party #04309)
- Hampton Art 7 Gypsies cling mounted rubber stamps (IC0151)
- Papermania A-Z clear stamps (Leftovers Alphabet PMA9071102)
- Docrafts outline stickers (Delicate lace Borders white ANT8101510)
- Docrafts outline stickers (Postage Stamps silver ANT810103)
- Little Yellow Bicycle Fabric Favourites (PD-220)
- Dovecraft glitter stickers (Cakes Cupcake Bakery DCST047)
- Hunkeydory luxury card collection (Birthdays for Her – Birthday Bake)
- Hobbycraft Green rhinestone stickers
- Liquitex Gel Matte Medium
- The Range double-sided foam tape
- Newspaper articles of the Queen’s Birthday celebrations